Most of us are not aware of the immense benefits of Ocimum gratissimum popularly known as scent leaf. Ocimum gratissimum, is a tropical plant species that belongs to the family of Labiatae. It is usually a homegrown shrub used mainly as spices for cooking delicacies due to its unique aromatic taste.
Some Of The Health benefits are:
- Scent leaf are high in calcium, phosphorus, iron, potassium, carbon and vitamin A. The scent leave has been reported to be rich in plants chemicals. Oil from the leaves has been shown to possess antiseptic, antibacterial, and antifungal activities.
- Scent leaf aids digestion. If you are the type of person that eats late at night, it is likely you will experience indigestion and bloating. Scent leaf has immense health beneﬁts such as easy bowel evacuation and weight management.
- Scent leaf can be used to treat stomach ache, diarrhoea, chronic dysentery and vomiting. The aqueous extracts of the scented leaf can be taken to relief ear ache and colon pains. Scent leaf decoction is used in treatment of mental illness.
- Scent leaf can be used to treat oral infections. Say bye to mouth odor as scent leaf kills all the bacteria in your mouth and also prevent tooth decay and bad breath.
- It is used in the treatment of fungal infections, fever, cold and catarrh. Squeezed Scent leaf are applied on the skin for treating skin diseases and ringworm.
- Scent leaf oil can be used as food preservative due to its anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties.
- Scent leaf can also be used for the prevention and treatment of malaria, catarrh, cough and fever.
- The aqueous extracts of the Scent leaf can be taken to relieve ear ache and colon pains.
- When left to dry and burnt, the leaves could serve as a mosquito repellent.