Foods are the building blocks that our bodies use to grow, develop, and repair. Healthy, plant-based fruits provide the energy and nutrients to do so.
If we aren’t eating well, we’re starving our cells or at the very least not giving them the proper tools they need to function at their best. Here are a few of the top foods to keep you looking young and your skin at its finest:
1. Tomatoes:Lycopene, the compound that gives tomatoes their rich color, is a powerful antioxidant that eliminates skin-aging free radicals from ultraviolet exposure.
2. Watermelon:Watermelon is more than just a refreshing fruit to quench your thirst. It is rich in vitamin A, C and antioxidants, vital for skin health. Its high water content hydrates your body, resulting in radiant skin.
Free radicals in the body are responsible for causing signs of ageing such as fine lines, wrinkles and age spots. Watermelon is a rich source of antioxidants like lycopene, Vitamin A and C. These help reduce free radicals in the body, thus preventing signs of ageing.
3. Sweet Potatoes:These tubers are packed with carotenoids and vitamin C which boost collagen production. Collagen controls the strength, firmness, and flexibility of the skin.
4. Citrus:Speaking of citrus fruits we have oranges, lime, lemon and grape fruits. Lemons are a great addition to your beauty regimen, as they are known to be “Nature’s Bleach.” Lemons safely whiten and lighten skin and promote even skin tone by reducing acne marks and blemishes. They also deep cleanse the skin by breaking down any grime clogging the pores.
For beautiful skin, drink a warm glass of honey and lemon water in the morning on an empty stomach. This miracle drink is purported to have many health benefits, including reducing the darkness of blemishes, cleaning out acne and giving you glowing skin.
5. Peppers:Red bell peppers contain more vitamin C than an orange, along with other antioxidants. The spicier peppers come packed with capsaicin, a compound that improves circulation and promotes the release of toxins from the skin.
6. Coconut Oil:Another oil that is great for skin both internally and externally. It provides some sun protection, fights bacteria, and helps soften skin.
7. Carrots:Carrots open this segment as one of the best vegetables that will make your skin to look younger than before. These root vegetables are very rich in vitamins including A and E that are quintessential in the beatification of your skin.
8. Dark Chocolate:The flavanols in chocolate act as antioxidants, provide sun protection, and reduce the roughness of skin for healthier appearance and feel.
9. Strawberries:It can unclog oily pores and stop pimples from forming. This will help clear out whiteheads and blackheads, before they become stubborn pimples.Strawberries also contain a powerful anti-oxidant called ellagic acid, proven to prevent collagen destruction that leads to wrinkle formation. Ellagic acid has a photo-protective effect that guards against UV damage. Eating strawberries regularly can help you achieve glowing skin.
10. Apples:Apples contain quercetin, an antioxidant in the peel that protects against sun damage. They also contain high fibre content which helps to clean out the colon and promotes regular bowel movements, hence promoting clear pimple-free skin.
11. Avocado:Avocado takes the top spot as the best fruit that will guarantee a smooth and glowing skin. It encompasses essential vitamins including A, C and E that are important in moisturizing the skin.
Other fundamental minerals such as potassium, magnesium and folic acid will all ensure a healthy skin. You can take avocado fruit for breakfast or anytime during the day when hungry.
12. Paw-paw:Paw-paw extracts are widely used in the skin care industry in the form of facial peels, soaps, cleansers and lotions. But why go after chemical treatments, when you can enjoy the goodness of paw-paw, fresh and cheap.
Eat paw-paw regularly and even mash it and apply on skin for a youthful bright glow.
About ten to twenty minutes of sun a day is healthy as it creates vitamin D, a powerful antioxidant and anti-carcinogen, but you should wear sunscreen if you plan on being in the sun longer than that.
Avoid stimulants like refined sugar and caffeine because these upset hormone balances and mess with circulation. They also make it difficult for the body to get the rest it needs to repair.